Friday, October 31, 2008

Why this? FPS? Frame?

Well, I have browsed a lot... and have read many tutorials about Flash. I am taking a less serious approach here while contributing my part. These tutorials I am writing here are going to be long and rather basic. I am learning as I am writing this too :) I will go from concept to code and even focused on possible mistakes and shortcomings of the codes whenever possible.

Unlike other tutorials, I write lots of gibberish here, so please bear with me. There will bound to be gramatical mistakes here and there but as long as you get what I am trying to say, it should be ok. Meanwhile I hope you all won't maul me for not having a tutorial today hahahaha... whoopps... don't worry. Coming soon.

Once more thing, I do not publish during weekends. It's because I am a lazy bonehead I need err.. time to think of what to write... yeah so that you all can benifit ... err better future... something like that.

Anyway since I am not writing any tutorials todays, I might as well just briefly talk about Flash a little. Who knows what FPS stands for? Whenever you start a document in Flash if you look at the document properties, you are bound to find FPS there... FPS is actually First Person Shooter so kinda get to er.. shoot people in Flash. The higher the rate, the more bullets you get to shoot... NOT. FPS here actually stands for Frame Per Seconds. It is the rate at which the number of frames is shown in 1 second. The higher the framerate of the FPS, the smoother the animation. Now please don't go and change it insanely high like 120 (max for Flash) thinking you get superior smoothness and all shall bow to your animation... Take note that cinema runs at 24 FPS and your television goes 30 FPS. The human eye can be tricked to see smooth / fluid movement with 24 frames per second. In other words, you won't benifit much by putting the framerate to 120 frames per second. Then how come NVIDIA is boosting about how games like F.E.A.R can perform over 160 fps with their GeForce 8800GTX... Yes that's good... very good... they are trying to tell us how powerful their graphic processor can go but do you know that not all games are able to run that way? For example, GTA (Grand Theft Auto) have a standard 30 fps. It can't run properly with frames more than that without killing itself... why? Try running the previous tutorial with the settings of 120 FPS. The clownship got a huge speedboost :).. almost uncontrollable... it's the programming that counts. What we did was we programmed based on frames instead of time, so the higher the framerate, the faster the game. I will talk about this in my next tutorial :) Hohoho... now look at your monitor / LCD panel, what is the highest 'Screen Refresh Rate' does your monitor / LCD panel supports? 90 Hertz? Hohoh... (Christmas in 2 month's time...) That equals to the maximum of 90 frames displayed per second :) So even if your F.E.A.R runs at 160 FPS, you can't see it. It's capped by the limitation fo the display device.

So that's it today. I hope this post is as informative as the grass growing on your lawn.

No comments: